Sunday, July 15, 2007

One More Lavender Tee



This is #3 from the Diana Mode inspired tee pattern I created with my pattern software. It's also the second solid lavender top I've made this week. I don't know why I was stuck on lavendar. It's not even one of my usual colors. But it was calling to me from the stash so I listened.

I wanted to experiment with this one and so I made up a frilly neckband to add some interest up near my face (and away from the fluff!). The front and back neckbands are usually made from two layers each. For the front neckband on this one, I channel-stitched 4 concentric rows (more or less) on the two layers and then I added a third unstitched layer for the back. If you've ever done the chenille technique, it's just like that. I also satin-stitched a vertical line down the middle just because. ;-)



I slashed through the center of the rows, through the first layer only. When I was done, it looked like this:



Then I continued with the rest of the construction as usual and tossed it into the washer and dryer when I was done. I got the effect I was hoping for — curly frills.






I left the back neckband with no frills.



Here's a close-up of the sleeve, for which I again used the original Diana Mode pattern pieces.



So now I'm done with all the patterns I cut out last weekend. I still have one more skirt to make to go with this latest tee but I'm still working on the pattern alterations since I'm short on fabric for my first choice of pattern. I have to say that I've really liked having multiple garments cut out at once so that I get a mini-marathon of just sewing.

30 comments:

  1. Ooo, interesting neckline! I like what you did. I don't think I've seen a neckline like this before. It's fun to experiment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debbie, That's a very nice looking neckline and a very effective one too. What a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That neckline is super neato cool. I hope you don't mind if I blatantly copy it at some point!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that's a clever idea! Looks great, and lovely colour. Will you do a modelled picture sometime too?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Debbie! All that cutting really paid off...I likes this one too! Especially the interest at the neckline which of course, makes all of these tops look different from each other. Thanks for adding the instructions on how to make the curly neckline. So are you taking a break or adding to the summer wardrobe!?

    ReplyDelete
  6. very productive week!
    You're making chenille necklines now. Did you do any of those rayon chenille jackets they were doing a few years ago? Same technique, only prints and a whole jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice neckline treatment!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Debbie, what a great idea, I love the neckline.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really cute! I may give that technique a whirl one of these days!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great neckline! I am constantly amazed at 1) how much you manage to sew and 2) your great embellishment ideas - simple yet they push the item into the level of unique boutique.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic idea! I love what you've done to the neckline of this one. I'm going to have to remember this treatment. Great job, as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really imaginative application of the chenille technique! It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Debbie I love the unique, creative elements you think up. Great idea for the neckband. I would also love to see a modeled photo - maybe when you get the skirt done? g

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very interesting change to your basic T for very little extra effort a lot of style.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome. A "must copy" idea, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  16. *Scream* what a raging success! I love those curly frills and the gathers on your new tee!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Debbie, I love the Diana Mode designs! I've looked on ebay but haven't found any. Do they show up frequently?

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is a great neckline idea. I just might have to copy that one day!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great looking t-shirts! The neckline you created here is designer-quality! I love the colors and effect you created with the t-shirt in the previous post as well. So smooth and colorful!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the neckline, you are very creative, not to mention productive. I'm going to the corner now and whimper; you've made about 18 things and I'm still working along on DH's travel vest.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That's a great neckline, what a cool technique

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the neckline treatment! It gives your tee that extra amount of flair.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Debbie,
    Another pretty T. Love the neckline you did on this one.
    Donna W
    Edmonton, Alberta

    ReplyDelete
  24. Fan-Tas-Tic!!! How did you know the neckline would curl like that? How clever!! I love when people do embellishments like that, that are sort of subtle and part of the garment fabric. It's very "designer."

    ReplyDelete
  25. That neckband is a work of Art! I'm in awe!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Debbie, me again. A question (and I have asked Belinda as well) - do you think that the Ottobre tshirt patterns are better than Kwik Sew? Are the sleeves shaped with more length at the back than the front? Anything else that makes them special? TIA!

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a great idea! This technique really fits in with the current trend toward frayed or unfinished edges. I'll be looking for a way to incorporate it in one of my projects.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love the tee and the colour! You do know there are going to be a LOT of tees with "your" treatment across the country don't ya? LOL Thanks for sharing with us! Can't wait to see what you do next!

    ReplyDelete
  29. That's gorgeous! I love what you did with that neckline, and so neatly made as well.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Very clever application of the chenille technique!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for each and every comment. I appreciate them all, but I have to be honest and let you know that I'm usually bad about answering questions. I hope you understand that there just isn't enough time in the day to do everything I want to do.

To help keep spam comments under control, any comments to blog posts that are more than 30 days old are moderated and will not show up immediately.