Saturday, January 13, 2024

Seamwork Andi

Here's my finished jacket, on me. Insert usual disclaimer about dirty mirror, no make-up, etc. It's a long weekend - maybe I'll get to one or the other. Or not.
And here it is on Zillie. I wish I had done a better job of aligning the pockets but that's water under the bridge. Eventually I won't see it. Especially since I know this jacket will get worn a lot both in the house as an extra layer for those cold days we actually have in Florida and outside the house to run errands, etc. This fabric is so nice and cozy to wear without being too hot in the house.
Back view. I decided to go ahead and insert elastic at the hem. I almost blew the opportunity though, because I put on the snaps first, but thankfully realized before I did the second snap at the hem that I needed to hold off until I inserted the elastic or else I wouldn't be able to since the snaps block the channel.
The annoying pocket. But it's a pocket and I'm glad to have both on this jacket. Perfect for the phone, dog treats, chapstick, whatever.
Inside view. 
This is the snap tool I ordered from KamSnaps. It, the necessary dies, and the snap pieces arrived on Thursday. Very fast shipping from California.
Here's everything and the envelope it was all shipped in — laying on top of my on-deck pattern to be cut out today hopefully, around watching football playoffs.
I'm not going to lie - it was kind of a struggle to get everything aligned on this thick fabric with the handheld tool. Moreso for the bottom parts of the snap because the dies and snap pieces are smaller and a little more fiddley and my fingers are big. But I took my time and plowed on, and I'm happy to report that I didn't have any mishaps. I'm sure the honkin' big tabletop setting snap press would be easier to use but aside from the higher price, I didn't want to think about where to store that thing later. If I found myself all of a sudden needing to set tons of snaps, I'd probably upgrade. But the handheld tool does the job just fine too. It's certainly easier than the old purple or teal multi-layer plastic setting tool from Snapsetter that you whack with a hammer and hope the prongs all got caught. Just me?
Before doing the real thing on my jacket, I watched a few YouTube videos (highly recommend this video from Sew Many Creations), laid out all my parts and pieces and got very familiar with them, and then I did a practice run, below. I'll probably have to do all of that again the next time I install snaps because I won't have any muscle memory after a month goes by.
Here's my new jacket in its home. It will be nice to give my ratty black RTW cardigan a break.
Parting shot: Cyrus living his best life. We love him so much!

13 comments:

  1. Nice work on the jacket. Do you have a C clamp, or small bar clamp? I'd think using one of those on the bottom of the snap tool would support it just enough to make it easier to use while lining all the bits up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gail. Or maybe I just need to get my son to hold it. LOL! The more I did it, the better it got so I imagine my "skills" will improve eventually.

      Delete
  2. Nice jacket! A question about the snap setter - did you also get the hole-cutter die, or does an awl work as well? And no you’re not the only one - I remember moments of fear taking apart the purple snap holder & hoping all was well too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen! I did not get a hole-cutter die. I think they really only truly work on leather, vinyl, cork, etc. I don't really want to cut all those threads. (Also, there is a hole cutting tool on Amazon that's supposed to work better than the dies - the YT channel I linked to has another comparison video with that in it.) My plackets are interfaced. I used an awl and even then because of all the layers, there wasn't a true hole by the time I had poked up all the way with the male snap piece. But I almost got all the way through and it still worked so it was fine for this. It probably would require an actual hole if using something really thick like polar fleece or sherpa.

      Delete
  3. Great jacket! It looks so cozy. Having the bottom edge of a jacket close to the body means cold breezes can't sneak up; it makes a huge difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol! It's definitely cozy - I'm wearing it today while we're in the "frigid 50s" here in Tampa. LOL

      Delete
  4. Awesome jacket and clearly just what you need. I am sure you will love your Kamsnapper more as time goes by and find more excuses to use it. I love mine but haven't done anything heavy like your jacket. You have patience. I've used mine for some nice blouses, shirtweight, with snaps in a matching color, nice change of pace, and also for lots of "mini pads". Enjoy your new toy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bunny! I saw a video using the snap press for covered buttons. I think I might "need" those dies. But new toys, I mean TOOLS, are always fun!

      Delete
  5. OK, it is your fault I am now looking at Kam snap setters/dies. I love the jacket so you have enabled more fabric headed my way. They did not have exactly what you used any more but something similar. Of course I must decide which Kam to buy. Decisions, decisions. All this because I fell in love with your jacket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Enabler is my middle name, so no apologies. I felt the same way about the jacket when I saw others so they enabled me. I'm just passing it on. Haha.

      Delete

Thank you for each and every comment. I appreciate them all, but I have to be honest and let you know that I'm usually bad about answering questions. I hope you understand that there just isn't enough time in the day to do everything I want to do.

To help keep spam comments under control, any comments to blog posts that are more than 30 days old are moderated and will not show up immediately.