Saturday, January 6, 2024

So Long 2023

The holidays are over and all the sewing I thought I would get to while I was off work didn't quite happen. But I did manage to get two projects done, or mostly done. And I had lots of time for Cyrus snuggles and some reading.

First up is a Love Notions Rhapsody, but this time in knit. It seems so many things I've made lately have been wovens that need to be ironed. Ugh. While I do press constantly while sewing, I'm not a big fan of clothes that need to be ironed before wearing. I mean I'll do it, but I won't like it. So, I'm back to sewing knits for a while to cut down on my ironing.

The fabric I used is a very nice black/white ITY recently from Gorgeous Fabrics. (There was still some available last time I looked.) I bought 3 yards and I have enough left for a skirt for one of my 2-piece "dresses" should I feel the urge. 
I made no changes to the pattern from my first woven version, except to use the elbow-length balloon sleeves with elasticated hems. We've been having a bit of a cool down weather-wise and my supply of warmer tops is low. I'll still be able to wear this in the office during the hot days since it's usually an AC iceberg zone
Here's the inside with the "burrito'd" yoke. I again gathered the lower back instead of using the box pleat per the pattern. 
The binding and ties were done on my coverstitch machine. The black looper thread shows on the backside of the ties, but I'm OK with it. I'll take applying knit coverstitch binding over woven bias binding any day of the week. But I also seem to remember owning a bias binder sewing machine foot for wovens (like this). I may need to dig that out and reacquaint myself with it.

To give the binding strip a bit more body and less curl as it feeds through the binder, I bought some SewKeyse 1 Inch Fusible Knit Stay Tape (that's an Amazon link, which may pay me a penny or two if you use it for a purchase). I usually cut up fusible interfacing scraps and use that on knit binding strips that need some help but this already cut and ready-to-go 1-inch tape seemed like it would be a great addition to the notions collection. And it is. I love that it's ready to go.
Here it is on my ironing board being applied to my binding strip. (I finally bought a new board cover and this is the cleanest you'll probably see it.)
My other project, which is not quite done yet, is a Seamwork Andi jacket. I really need a casual slightly warm jacket for around the house/yard and running errands, etc. Seeing this pattern made up by others on Instagram is one of the reasons I decided to go with a Seamwork subscription. 
I shamelessly copied my inspirations by using the same prequilted knit. I bought this navy colorway from Stylemaker Fabrics and I might have another color coming from Minerva. And OMG is this fabric so comfy/cozy! (And kind of a pain to sew with since it sheds its innards and is a bit thick and slippery.)

What I did not have ready to go were snaps for the closure. I have a TON of Snapsetter (RIP) snaps that I was thinking would work but I hadn't even looked at them in years and it turns out they are all too small for this jacket and I don't feel confident that the short-ish prongs would be a good match with the fabric thickness even if I had a bigger size. So my jacket got a bit more expensive since I ended up buying a snap press and dies (plus bigger snaps) from KAMSnaps. My order should be here next week and then I'll finish the jacket.
Here's the back, which is hanging very crooked on Zillie. I also have not yet added elastic to the hem. I'm still deciding on that and will make up my mind once I can actually snap the jacket closed.
Even though this is a very simple and oversized design, I had to go my own way a bit with the pockets because they are shaped with a straight side to be inserted into a straight side seam and I blended between sizes, which created a very curved side seam. It's not a big deal, but I kind of think the instructions should have mentioned/shown that you'll need to apply the pockets more like a patch pocket if you do blend between sizes. Seamwork patterns are mostly geared toward beginners and I can imagine a beginner doing some head scratching on this situation. On the plus side, Seamwork's private member forum is very active and filled with extremely helpful people, so one could ask there if stuck.

I cut the pattern pieces to match the "pattern" of quilting across the front and side seams, but somehow one of my pockets does not match up at all. I decided to just leave it. Besides the laziness factor, I didn't want to "waste" any of the remaining fabric since I should have enough left to colorblock for another pattern that's percolating in my brain. I figure there's so many lines going every which way and the pockets hang more to the side than how it looks on Zillie that no one but me (and now the entire internet) will ever notice. 
So that's the end of my 2023 sewing. I'll be back when I have my snaps on the jacket. I'm also planning to start a sweatshirt tomorrow so hopefully I'll have that to share soon too. 

Happy New Year!

10 comments:

  1. That jacket looks like it will be so versatile. I use Kamsnaps and their press and have been really happy. I find size 16 works for most that I do but larger definitely makes sense for jackets. I happen to like the type of sewing that requires maintenance as well. I just do it all at once in one big bang and call myself saintly after. Helps. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Saintly - haha! I'll have to remember that.

      Delete
  2. Your jacket looks fantastic, and I wouldn’t notice anything weird about the pocket if you didn’t point it out (as we do). The pattern’s line drawing does nothing for me but your version looks so chic and professional. Quilted knit —

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoops, wasn’t finished. Does this pattern require a knit? Like, do you need actual stretch, because I’m thinking the quilting would eliminate or at least reduce the stretch of a knit, unless what looks like quilting is part of the knit. I’ve been looking for the right pattern for a quilted jacket but I don’t want the Hello-I’m-Wearing-a-Bed-Quilt look, I want to just quilt a cool design onto solid black, gray or navy fabric so I don’t look like a circus clown. I know what kind of batting I want to use so it drapes nicely without too much bulk, but haven’t decided on the fabric yet. Is your quilted knit like a T-shirt interlock or some other kind of knit fabric? This is Rebecca Grace, www.RebeccaGraceQuilting.com, don’t know why Wordpress is making me post anonymously today.

      Delete
    2. Hey Rebecca - the pattern technically calls for a knit but there's so much ease and no fitted parts that I would think a woven would be fine as long as you choose a finished size that fits your measurements. The quilted knit I used is a jersey and is stretchy. Thanks for stopping by and good luck on your move!

      Delete
  3. That jacket!!!!!!!! Great job 👏🏻! [Nice top, too…]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The fabric for the jacket is everything! Seeing it used by others is the big reason I'm making this pattern. Just call me a sheep. LOL

      Delete
  4. I agree with the person above who said this: "The pattern’s line drawing does nothing for me but your version looks so chic and professional." The quilted fabric you chose totally makes the jacket!

    I have a KAMSnaps setter and love it. The initial cost is expensive, true, but it'll pay for itself in usefulness down the line. Hopefully the don't leave us like Snapsetter (I miss them too!).

    Lynn (You sew, girl!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree too. It wasn't until I saw others' versions of this jacket in the same fabric (but different colors) that I took another look at it. The pattern is SO simple - the fabric is doing all the heavy lifting. But it's actually not a bad pattern. Yes, that TWO Seamwork patterns now for me - a person who had written off SW eons ago. My KAMSnaps order arrived yesterday so now I need to set aside a little time to practice and then finish the jacket.

      Delete
  5. Debbie! Your sewing projects always blow me away! The Love Notions Rhapsody in knit looks fantastic on you. And that Seamwork Andi jacket is going to be a new favorite, I'm sure. The way you handle patternmaking and matching is impressive. Looking forward to more updates!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for each and every comment. I appreciate them all, but I have to be honest and let you know that I'm usually bad about answering questions. I hope you understand that there just isn't enough time in the day to do everything I want to do.

To help keep spam comments under control, any comments to blog posts that are more than 30 days old are moderated and will not show up immediately.