I should've been sewing a hat last night but instead I vegged in front of the tube. I needed a break from costume sewing. Reko is supposed to come over today for a fitting, but I'm hoping I can convince him that tomorrow will work better since he can leave with a hat if he waits until then. I've decided to use the extra fabric from the costume and line it with black. I can always buy a better solid red later and make another hat if this turns out to be more print than either of us wants.
Thank you everyone for all the really nice comments. They've made me smile. However, I will NOT be starting a costume sewing sideline any time soon. lol This project has been fun, but it's been very time-consuming and it would not be lucrative in the least. I have spent over $200 in supplies and patterns (Reko's wallet, not mine!) and far more time than I want to add up, but I think I'd have to sell this outfit for $1,000 to turn a profit. I don't think there are too many peeps out there willing to pay that kind of dough for a costume.
For those of you who think my sewing has been extraordinary, I shouldn't admit this, but I will. The sewing has been no more difficult than sewing most any other thing. It's the fancy shiny fabric and trim that makes it look impressive. There are a lot more pieces to this outfit than what we wear around town these days, but that only adds time, not difficulty. But if you want to continue to toss adoration and envy my way, please feel free. ;-)
Now I need to go cut out some hat pieces.