Wednesday, February 23, 2011

One Ugly Muslin To Go, Hold the Mayo

The muslin is done and on its way to The Big Apple


Complete with red and pink thread, one inside-out sleeve and placket sans cuff, and …


… one single-layer pinked cuff.


With all of those faults, this is still actually somewhat nicer than my usual muslins. Don't faint when you try it on Michael. The final shirt will be bee-you-tee-full. ;-)

An interesting side note:  I took apart one of the sleeve plackets on my husband's discarded RTW shirt. This is what it looks like before surgery.


And this is after.


Hopefully you can see that there are no stupid "Little House on the Placket" pieces here,


and instead it's just like Summerset's wonderful tutorial. Although the finished RTW placket is somewhat wider, which is easy enough to adjust if desired. I'm going to use the RTW method any time I have to do a regular sleeve placket. It's just so much faster, easier and absolutely NOT fiddly at all. A total no-brainer, if you ask me.

9 comments:

  1. That's really interesting! Did you happen to get a shot of what the inside looked like before you took it apart? I was looking closely at all my hubby's RTW and I swear they're made with little-house-on-the-plackets (I love that name, by the way...). But I'm not really allowed to hack them up to be sure...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the kind of placket my shirt pattern came with. Once I understood the whole placket thing it was quite easy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for pointing us to that tutorial. This method seems simple enough. After all, why make things more difficult than they need be?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I dig the pinked sleeve cuff edges...! Personally I think it's a nice colour overall too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yea! The muslin is on its way to the Big Apple! Thanks for telling us about the tutorial. There will be a sleeve placket in a shirt for me sometime this year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the link to the shirt placket tutorial. I just copied it to add to my tutorial collection. I have done enough of the little house plackets that tehy are no longer difficult but this looks to make them easy. Thank yous to Somerset as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the link to the tutorial....I have been making those fussy little house plackets for years, but no more! Do you think you will get the same sense of accomplishment at finishing a perfect placket when it is this easy? I sure hope so....

    ReplyDelete
  8. How did you know yellow is my favorite color? (We're on the same wavelength, I guess!) Sadly, it's not one of my colors, my being an autumn, but it will be fun to have a yellow muslin.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hnello , You might also like to look at Gigi's Behind the Seams blog. She has a really good way of doing plackets too . I am not able to give you the link but it was in the last 12 months or so and if I remember correctly was on her Cynthia Rowley jacket (purple version)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for each and every comment. I appreciate them all, but I have to be honest and let you know that I'm usually bad about answering questions. I hope you understand that there just isn't enough time in the day to do everything I want to do.

To help keep spam comments under control, any comments to blog posts that are more than 30 days old are moderated and will not show up immediately.