After a little here and there sewing over the last few days, the jacket is done.
My plan is to wear it open like this with a belt, but I don't have a belt yet. I may make one. I really wanted an orange jacket, but the stash wasn't cooperative with that and I am NOT buying anything new that I will have to pack and move, so black it is. I have a knit that I'm thinking of turning into a cardi though, so maybe I'll get something orange after all.
This black fabric is ANCIENT. I bought it years and years ago from Fashion Fabrics Club when I first started sewing, in the days before FFC bought out Denver Fabrics. It's a weird fabric. Stretch woven something that's either poly or nylon or both. It's also got a pattern of stylized M's woven in and I had to put a tape on each wrong side so I wouldn't screw it up. It took me about 3 tries to accurately mark the wrong side of each piece because I couldn't decide which side I wanted to use as the right side and then just confused myself.You can see the design here:
The instructions for this pattern are ridiculous. As in stoooopid. First, they would have you use the lining fabric for all of the inside, which means that fabric would go right up to the neck edge. Which means it would definitely roll out and show because that's just Murphy's Law. I used more of the black for the inside yoke pieces and understitched the neckline (a step missing from the instructions).
But the worst part was how Simplicity instructed to sew the facing. Hopefully I can explain this. You are to construct two complete jackets using the same exact pattern pieces, one from the lining fabric and one from the fashion fabric. Then sew the facing OVER the lining (after turning under and narrow hemming the outside edge of the facing) and topstitch the facing down onto the lining. That meant you'd end up with 3 layers of fabric where the facing is, and more if you count the turned-under hem of the facing edge. Like I said, stoooopid.
I made the lining and then laid the facing over it and cut away the lining plus a seam allowance. I then joined the facing to lining like you'd do for any other lined jacket and bagged the lining with a jump hem instead of sewing lining bottom edge to jacket bottom edge. Really, the instructions are so bad that Simplicity would've been better represented if they made this an UNlined jacket.
Here's a quick shot of me in the jacket, over my Saturday slouch around clothes.
Parting Shot: Chili on my desk reminding me that it's time to go outside. He has a definite internal clock and never lets me forget anything on his schedule. Sometimes I catch him tapping his wristwatch and giving me a dirty look. ;-)