Sunday, November 5, 2006

Living Dangerously


I'm a bit burned out from doing muslins and fittings so a forgiving knit was on the cutting table today. That's it above. I like how it picks up on the undertones in this skirt, (which you would think is a regular denim blue ... until you put it next to anything other than white).

The chosen pattern for this top is from Burda WOF 06/2005 (#111). It's a pattern for a woven but since when does that ever stop me? ;-)

I traced the Burda pattern last night and a quick pin fit told me it was going to be more alteration work than I wanted to do. (See above re being burned out.) So I opened up my pattern software and started doodling.

This is the line drawing for the Burda pattern pieces.


This is what I came up with after some dart rotation on my standard empire bodice pattern (the program creates that for me) and a couple of manual changes to the hemline and cuff. I printed it out and taped it together.
This morning, I tried on the upper bodice pattern before committing it to the fabric and decided that I needed to dart out some of the spread at the neckline or else it would probably fall off my shoulders. So I reverted to low-tech. I squooshed a dart in the paper, cut it apart and taped it into a 3D cone/dart. Then I cut a slash roughly where you see that line in the upper bodice piece above and spread the paper until the pattern laid flat again. I reshaped the front gathering area and called it done.

I'm not making a muslin. If the top works, I'll be thrilled. If it doesn't, I'll be sad to see this Textiles Studios fabric wasted … but I'll get over it. Today is going to be a relaxing sewing day.

2 comments:

  1. Good for you! I can't wait to see your finished top.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, love the line drawing. Can't wait to see the finished product.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for each and every comment. I appreciate them all, but I have to be honest and let you know that I'm usually bad about answering questions. I hope you understand that there just isn't enough time in the day to do everything I want to do.

To help keep spam comments under control, any comments to blog posts that are more than 30 days old are moderated and will not show up immediately.