Sunday, June 29, 2008

Skirt Finally Done

Sheesh. Could it have taken me any longer to finish this? Well, maybe, but at least it's finally complete. The fabric is a linen/rayon blend, so wrinkles abound. Really. The photo is blurry so it's lying to you. I'm going to wash it a few times to soften it up. Hopefully. But here it is done, and on me. Shield your eyes from the shocking white underbelly. ;-)



My first version of this Butterick 4877 skirt was from a stretch woven. This green fabric has no stretch, but the skirt still fits 100% with no additional alterations. This pattern is definitely and officially now a keeper. For the next one, I'm going to combine the bottom pieces of this view (godets & panels) to make a flounce instead. I'm not especially thrilled with how the godets stick out so much and I think a flounce will look smoother and more even. But don't think I won't be wearing this skirt. The sticky-outy godets don't bug me that much.

I did remember to sew some twill tape to the facing seam allowance so it won't stretch out during the day. (I need to go back and add twill tape to the first brown version because the waist did grow a little as the day went on.) I decided to zigzag it on so it would stay as flat as possible when it fights my stomach. Ahem.



This is what the inside of the skirt waist looks like. Not exactly what you'd see in RTW, but this ain't no RTW … it's custom! LOL!



Because I've had such good luck with Butterick patterns lately, I succumbed to the Club BMV one-day sale and ordered a couple more: 4819 for the button-down shirt from Annette's review, and 5223 because I just loved Toya's version of it. I also bought V8489, mostly just to look at. Ordering through the mail during these sales is cheaper than gas. But then pretty much anything is cheaper than gas these days. Yikes.

The next project is to do something about this:



That's my ironing board. Yeah, pretty bad, huh? I'd been putting off making a new cover thinking I could find one to buy. Hah. I've bought and returned 3 that don't quite fit and the rips keep growing. It's time to just buckle down and do it. I've picked out a "what was I thinking?" denim print from the stash and will make the new cover before I go to bed tonight. Cidell says it takes 30 minutes.

I'm kind of dragging today. Yesterday, we finally had the yard sale I've been putting off forever. I hate doing yard sales but we had so much stuff that was "too good" to just throw out and it's been piling up. I was organizing stuff all week, then up late Friday night getting it laid out and ready, and up early yesterday to bring it all out and run the sale. DH parked his big pick-up truck down at the beginning of our driveway, blocking the driveway and with a sign on it stating our starting time. And the (expletive deleted) early-birds actually DROVE AROUND IT and continued on to the house! I was so irritated at that. I was already tired, it was 400 percent humidity outside, and these people drove on our yard trying to "beat the crowd?" Did they think they'd be welcome with a big smile? Hah! They obviously don't know me in the morning. LOL!

But at least that's done, I've got some bonus cash, my garage is cleared out, and DS can park his Mustang in it again. And my skirt is done. ;-)

13 comments:

  1. The skirt is so wonderful. That pattern is going on my wish list for sure along with the others probably as well. I love how the new skirts you are doing have interest features at the base. I also like the lime slinky skirt. I need to dig through the blog and see if you gave the number for it. mssewcrazy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great skirt Debbie! I really like how all your new additions to your wardrobe are fitting together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That skirt is great, and the pasty white underbelly is just like mine. *sigh* Well, at least you live in a sunny climate, so I don't feel so bad. Don't you hate the early birds? DH should have parallel parked in the driveway! And I hear your "They don't know me in the morning", having a house full of such folks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the real key to a really tight fitting ironing board cover is using 1/8" elastic instead of cording!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh, great skirt, I have to make a new iron board cover too myself, so post it, I need a refresher course and thanks for the shout out on my new BFJ, lol, can't wait to see your version

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like your skirt and it's my favourite colour at the moment. I've just started getting into skirts of this shape - I've always preferred straight ones.

    As for buying patterns off the internet, do you know it is cheaper for me to buy 3 patterns from Club BMV and have them shipped to Australia than it is to buy ONE pattern in a store here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a bunch of morons! I would've told 'em to take a hike!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hate it when people show up early for yard sales. We've always made the sign, and then add "Earlies pay double".

    your wardrobe is really coming along. great colors.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Debbie, you think your gas price is bad?!? On monday I put 6.5gallons approx. in my tank and paid US$63.00. It barely moved the indicator to quarter tank. Two days later the price went up 2 cents! The car will most likely be staying in the garage this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cute skirt and love the color!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Garage sales!!! Torture! I blogged about mine last week! The only one who really enjoyed it was my dysfunctional cat who thought everyone came to see her!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I kind of like the gores, personally, but I'd probably add more in somehow so they wouldn't be so distinct. I don't know, but would adding a strip of something stiff like crinoline along the bottom edge help keep the gores from collapsing?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so glad to see that someone other than me buys/admits to buying patterns 'just to look at'!! ;-)))
    Aless

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for each and every comment. I appreciate them all, but I have to be honest and let you know that I'm usually bad about answering questions. I hope you understand that there just isn't enough time in the day to do everything I want to do.

To help keep spam comments under control, any comments to blog posts that are more than 30 days old are moderated and will not show up immediately.