Sunday, June 1, 2008

Weekend Catch-Up

On Thursday (I think? It's all a blur!), I had a wonderful FedEx delivery from Carolyn . It was her birthday this week and *I* got the gift — a whole box full of buttons and even some very cool Riri zippers! Thank you so much, Carolyn, and a Happy Belated Birthday! Your thoughtfulness is very much appreciated!

This photo doesn't show many details but there are lots of very pretty (and different from what I can find locally) buttons.



I'll be using these below right away to finish my latest Ottobre blouse. I had wanted square buttons but didn't have enough in my stash. Carolyn sent an SOS for me to NOT go to Joann's to look for buttons since she knew I had a package on the way, and she was right! These are just what I had in mind (and she didn't even know I was thinking of square buttons).



As promised last week, here are some pics from the Diana #23 magazine I'm using for the current capris-in-progress. This is the cover:



And these are the capris:



It was this pocket that suckered me in. I love side pockets on capris and this one with the pintucks and loop was all it took. I've actually had this page folded open and on my dresser for OVER A YEAR so I wouldn't forget to make them, but other projects always seemed to sneak in ahead.



I also like the bands at the hems, and the shaped belt carriers (which I'm still debating whether I'll actually add since I don't wear tops tucked in and they won't actually show to anyone but me). Even the fabric I'm using is very similar.

I've graded up and altered the pattern and have it cut out and ready to sew. But other activities have kept me out of the sewing room so they haven't progressed from that point. I'm hoping I'll have some time after today's dog park and grocery outings to get started with the sewing.

16 comments:

  1. nice buttons, love those black and white once and that capri is very cute

    ReplyDelete
  2. That pocket will definitely make it's way onto something - I don't know what - very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm soooo glad that you liked them. I was worried that maybe I had sent the wrong things from my collection. Let me know if you need any more of a particular style...I have plenty! And I'm really glad that you liked the square buttons. They screamed your name when I was going through my collection and pulling buttons for you. Can't wait to see a picture of the shirt with the buttons on it!

    And believe me I got the better end of that deal with the muslin pieces, plus fitted pattern instructions for the blouse...now to find something for it to go with and to get my version of it made up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great package you got for Carolyn's birthday. Love those pockets - I'm not much of a pocket girl, but I may have to use those on something soon. They are TDF! g

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great buttons. I like those square ones too.

    The capris are too cute, moreso because of that pocket.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i've been admiring your blog for just a short time and now it's in my favorites. clearly, your much more experienced and advanced than i am with your skills. i'm wondering if you would recommend any books for beginning sewing or if you have a favorite magazine that you subscribe to. i'm in awe that you'd attempt those capris -- i don't even know how i'd fit a pair of pants to myself - i know almost nothing about pattern adjustments which is probably where i'm really at (the book is for another purpose). i recently heard about some method called the islander method but looking at their books & videos - whew?! so pricey. thanks so much for sharing your knowledge and if you are able to, please email me w/ any recommendations/your response. kim therrien, NH
    kimsworld5@verizon.net
    deedaloos.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. How fun! Get a present for someone else's birthday. Carolyn is a real sweetheart! And the buttons are great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too only recently found your blog and have added it to my blog roll. I am wondering if that pattern magazine carries plus sizes? I love those capris, but I have no experience altering patterns. I'd kinda have to have the pattern in my size forit to work. Any hints as to it being easy to enlarge a pattern?

    ReplyDelete
  9. funny, I was looking at an older Diana last night. I really like that pocket detail. Hope the interview went well BTW

    ReplyDelete
  10. ....and then I read the last post which mentioned the interview- well- "on to the next" as we say in this household.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lucky girl! and - those capris are really cute. What I wanna know is, if I make the ones like the model is wearing, will I get that butt too? If not, the deal's off!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Is that a pattern magazine, and if so, where is it from? I am so out of the loop with patterns - I really like the fit and details of those capri's and after a certain windy day incident whilst gardening in my favorite flowing skirt, um, I need some capri's for modesty now!

    ReplyDelete
  13. ooh that pocket is gorgeous, I can understand why it drew you in! And I'm also jealous that you've got a pattern magazine I've never seen! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cool buttons.Cool pocket treatment.I'm looking forward to your version.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Debbie,
    First of all I want to say that I love the details on the capris. I'm curious however, How do you get your subscription to Diana Mode?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Crazy--this is exactly the issue I sent you an email about last year!!! Glad you finally got a hold of it and like the issue so much>. I thought you'd go for the orange skirt but shuolda known, the capris called you. They look awesome! --Kath in Belgium

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for each and every comment. I appreciate them all, but I have to be honest and let you know that I'm usually bad about answering questions. I hope you understand that there just isn't enough time in the day to do everything I want to do.

To help keep spam comments under control, any comments to blog posts that are more than 30 days old are moderated and will not show up immediately.