Here's the Before. The skirt pretty much falls off me. (BTW, this skirt fit in late-May and was too tight before that. I'm shocked.)
And the After.
I lost some of the "trumpet-ness" because I also chopped off 4" from the length, but I gained a skirt I can (and will) actually wear.
I made it a little snug on purpose because I'm not going to be doing this re-make again. When it gets too big to wear again, it will be tossed or donated.
The skirt has 6 gores, 3 front and 3 back. Ordinarily, I probably would have removed the waistband and taken in each vertical seam. But this skirt has a side invisible zipper, which is in a pocket …
… with button tabs.
I didn't want to mess with the zipper or pockets. But I noticed that the center front and center back gores were wider than the side gores and decided that I could just alter the CF and CB pieces and not throw off the sideseams (or pockets) at all.
So I unstitched the waistband above those pieces and then ripped out the seams connecting the centers to the sides, and ended up with this:
(The dress underneath is still waiting for me to stitch the neckline higher. It will probably take me 15 minutes to do this, but yet there it still sits.)
Oh, before any ripping, I had pinned the waistband so that it fit and then marked it with washaway marker. I measured the take-in distance at the front waist and removed that from the CF gore. I did the same for the back.
Then I sewed the gores back in and cut the waistband to fit the new circumference (most of the waistband was still attached to the skirt. I just worked in the areas above the CF and CB gores). I narrowed the front waistband in two places - I was trying for seams above the gores but I missed. I narrowed the back waistband at the CB only.
I'm happy with the remake. It took a few hours but I think it was worth it. I couldn't have cut and sewed a new skirt with these features in the same time. Once again, I'm glad I have mad sewing skillz. ;-)
Next up will be this skirt. I'm going to cut it down from the waistband and add new, tighter elastic. This one should be a pretty fast re-do.
I think I've had a pretty productive weekend. My laundry is done. I made a skirt, remade another, returned unwanted purchases, returned books to the library before they were late, gassed up the car, and tomorrow's lunch is made and in the fridge. Now I've about 2 hours before sleep time so I'm going to watch the rest of the football game and just generally veg.