Friday, January 21, 2011

Kwik Sew 3764 - Almost There

I didn't finish the jacket the other night like I thought. I just ran out of steam. But I did pick it back up tonight and have made a lot of progress. I'd say I am almost done, except I need to deal with some fiddly bits and that will make me procrastinate. (Is it worse when you know ahead of time that you're going to procrastinate and you do it anyway? Maybe I'll surprise myself.)

I stole pockets from a Vogue jacket pattern I have and shortened them a little so they wouldn't hang into the hem area. This is one side before being sewn together at the sideseam. You can see the facing on the back pocket bag, which means virtually any fabric can be used for the rest of the pocket and it won't show. Perfect. I used a green jersey from the stash.



I forgot I was adding the epaulets until I had sewn the first sleeve in. Oops. At least I hadn't serged the seam allowances. A little voice was nagging at me to try it on first and I'm glad I listened. I'm not going to add any butttons or snaps or anything, the layers on the shoulder are plenty thick now and I don't need something else up there. I even broke a needle tacking one of the epaulets down.



I sewed in the sleeves and closed the sideseams. Here's a peek.



I need to decide how I'm going to secure the front facings and whatever you call the underlayer of a double-breasted front. But this jacket is as warm as a heavy winter coat to me and it's just too hot to keep putting it on and off to get everything aligned correctly. It's supposed to cool down here again tomorrow so I'm hoping to get back at it tomorrow night or Saturday morning.

Then all I'll have left is the hems. I'm a little tired of this jacket right now because I'm not thrilled with the fit in the armholes. But it's a casual sweatshirt jacket and I'll get over it as soon as I've been away from it for a few days. Before I can do that, I have to finish it. ;-)

10 comments:

  1. It's looking great. Love the stitching on the shoulder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The shoulder trapunto is just gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The shoulder detail is beautiful. Your jacket is coming along so well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful detailing! I love that color.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your jacket is looking great! The creative shoulder work adds a designer touch. Now, you have me thinking about that pattern. I might try to purchase it before, hopefully, it gets warmer around here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the shoulder detail! I hope you love it, too, when you're done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The epaulets and stitching at the shoulder look beautiful! What great details.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the channel stitching on the shoulder! Move toward that finish line!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so funny! I have that exact jacket hanging in my closet right now. I tried on both the 1X and the 2X in the store and decided on the 2X. But now that I have it home I think I might need to exchange it for the 1x. The 2x is just too big in the shoulders (but the 1x seemed kind of tight in the middle). Sigh. You are so lucky you are talented and can fix the size issues! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful job on that jacket. Your sewing skills are very professional. I hope you enjoy wearing it!

    Yvonne
    Alabama

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for each and every comment. I appreciate them all, but I have to be honest and let you know that I'm usually bad about answering questions. I hope you understand that there just isn't enough time in the day to do everything I want to do.

To help keep spam comments under control, any comments to blog posts that are more than 30 days old are moderated and will not show up immediately.