Friday, January 7, 2011

Plan B … er … MPB



I have given up waiting on my patterns to arrive from sewingpatterns.com and have ordered a replacement jacket pattern from Fabric.com. But other than that jacket, I still don't really feel like sewing for me.

Meanwhile, Peter over at Male Pattern Boldness, has announced a Men's Shirt Sew-Along, to begin February 1. While I do have my own men to sew for, none of them really needs or wants a classic shirt at the moment. I thought I'd just be watching the Sew-Along from the sidelines.

But then the gears began to sputter in my brain and I came up with the idea to secretly sew a shirt for Peter's partner Michael (say that 3x fast!).

I ask you, who is more deserving of receiving something from this Sew-Along than poor, poor Michael, who has been waiting (and waiting) since August of last year for the suit Peter promised him?

And who is mentioned prominently at the top of Peter's blog as someone for whom Peter sews (but doesn't really)? We won't mention the reluctant mother comment. Oh.



And who is it that puts up with 12, or 6, or 20 vintage sewing machines strewn all about a NYC apartment (not to mention old phones and bicycles), and then is put to work lifting the old boat anchors when Peter's "back is out?" (You know, maybe if Peter wasn't always tripping over his cousin Cathy's high heels, his back would be "in" more often. I'm just sayin'.)

So, yes, a shirt for Michael! It's a good idea, isn't it?

But what isn't a good idea is to sew it secretly, a/k/a blindly. Things like measurements and color choices might be an obstacle that still would land Michael a new shirt, but likely one he either couldn't or wouldn't wear. So, the cat shirt is out of the bag and Michael is in on the project. He's given me his fabric preferences, one or two of which just might be on their way to me as I type, and Peter has filled me in on a few basic measurements.

So this weekend there WILL be actual sewing going on, as I'll be making a muslin for Michael's new shirt. I'll be using Kwik Sew 3422, because I already own it.



While you're waiting for the next update here, go give Michael some (more) love over at his new bloggy home, Pleasing My Palate. I think he could write about emptying pencil sharpeners instead of food and the preparation thereof and I would still read it. OK, same goes for Peter too. I love them both.

8 comments:

  1. You are beyond kind to sew for Michael -- I mean, make Peter feel guilty for eating all the food & not sewing a shirt for the cook. ;-)

    This should be great. I'm impressed.

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, goody! Another sewing project I can watch, and another blog to read. Sheesh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Debbie, I am thrilled and honored that you have decided to dedicate your sew-along project to little old me! I just know that you will intuitively know what I would want in a shirt — after all, we share an offbeat sense of humor AND a color season.

    In Peter's defense, he has sewn me an occasional "consolation" garment — probably to keep me from thinking about that $120 of wool keeping the insides of a plastic box warm through the winter. Maybe if I cook something really good this weekend, he'll at least let me wear the leopard pants.

    Come over to my blog soon, where I'll be discussing the differences between #2 and #3 pencil shavings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, this is wonderful, and no one deserves a custom made shirt more than Michael! And your product will be especially nice. Until you mentioned it, I had no idea he had his own blogs, which I immediately checked out (well, the one related to food of course). He must be the most long suffering...! And amusing (the difference between #2 and #3 pencil shavings...). Can't wait to follow along.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so sweet of you! Micheal is a lucky guy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Debbie, what a great idea! You are so very nice. I'll be reading all about it.
    BTW - I have put your cabbage roll recipe into the WW recipe builder to calculate using PointsPlus and for 2 rolls it is 10 points. The points value would probably differ depending on what type of marinara sauce used. Mine has no added sugar for what that is worth! Anyway I'm making that tonight to have after the SAINTS beat SEATTLE ;-). If they don't...well it will not be a nice evening in my house, except of course for the cabbage rolls!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a nice thing you're doing! That's a great pattern. My guys don't want me sewing for them, and this weekend is loaded with football games, so I get plenty of textile time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, that's a fab idea! I *love* that pattern and have a made a bunch of shirts for my husband with it! It's pretty modern and slim-fitting, but I DID have to make the size small for my husband, with the medium length. (he's 5'9, 34 chest, 28w). I can't wait to see what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for each and every comment. I appreciate them all, but I have to be honest and let you know that I'm usually bad about answering questions. I hope you understand that there just isn't enough time in the day to do everything I want to do.

To help keep spam comments under control, any comments to blog posts that are more than 30 days old are moderated and will not show up immediately.