Thursday, January 6, 2011

Stuffed Cabbage Rolls



There has still been NO sewing around these parts. I've been waiting for my patterns to show up, and I must say that I am decidedly NOT impressed with sewingpatterns.com. I will never order from there again. Yes, that's harsh, but there are other options available to me that don't immediately take my money and then delay on the product. And yes, I could start a different project, but I've got that jacket in my head and nothing else is calling to me, so I wait.

Moving right along …

I don't make actual New Year's resolutions, so this isn't really that except that it happened to coincide with the time of year. Anyway, I'm sort of back on Weight Watchers. Being down in the dumps about missing my son has had me seeking out comfort food even more than usual and, well, it's got to stop!

I say "sorta back on" because I'm not officially all the way back on the WW plan yet only because I need to buy a new scale this weekend to have a starting point (ugh, I dread the number I will see when I do). After that purchase, I will pay the fee to join WW online so I have access to the plan's tools. Then I'll not be "sorta" and will be officially on the plan again. It's a good plan for me and it works with my life. Well, when I don't go running for the fast food and chocolate. Your mileage may vary.

I wasn't going to post anything until I was actually sewing something, but Michael's new blog, Pleasing My Palate, inspired me. For those who read Peter's Male Pattern Boldness, you'll recognize Michael as his partner (and photographer extraordinaire). For those who don't read MPB, what are you waiting for? ;-)

OK, so on to the food — Stuffed Cabbage Rolls.

I've always liked the traditional version of this meal. I like cabbage. A lot. (I even love Brussels sprouts.) Must be my German half. The other half is Italian, in case you were wondering. All of my grandparents went through Ellis Island, so the eating gene had not been Americanized too much when I was growing up and we had lots of authentic yummy meals, if not exactly the healthiest. Mealtimes at my Italian grandparents' was an *event*. And if it was a holiday too? OMG. ;-)

This version of Stuffed Cabbage Rolls keeps the flavor I like, but turns out a much healthier meal. And it's easy to make too.



1 Savoy Cabbage
1 Cup Brown Rice, cooked
2 Teaspoons Olive Oil
1/2 pound white mushrooms, sliced
1 onion, finely chopped
3/4 pound ground turkey breast
1 large egg, lightly beaten
Salt and pepper to taste
3-4 cups of Marinara sauce (25 oz jar or your own)

Preheat oven to 350.

I didn't follow the recipe exactly because it calls for jarred sauce and fresh mushrooms, neither of which were on hand last night. Instead, I used canned mushrooms and then made up a quick red sauce using stewed tomatoes and tomato paste in cans, leftover green pepper bits, and traditional Italian herbs from the spice rack, which was cooked down a bit to reduce the liquid.

1. Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil.

2. Carefully separate the cabbage leaves until you have 8-10 good size leaves with the "thick" part near the core removed. You really only need 8, but 10 is good for filling in any "holes." Thinly slice the remaining cabbage.

3. Using tongs, immerse the big leaves into the boiling water for about 30 seconds, until they are wilted. Set aside.

4. Put the remaining cabbage slices into the boiling water and boil for about a minute. Drain and arrange in the bottom of a large baking pan.

5. Heat the oil in a large skillet. Add onions and mushrooms and cook until veggies are tender, about 8-10 minutes. Remove to a large bowl.

6. To the vegetables, add the turkey, rice, egg, salt, and pepper and stir until well mixed. I used my hands. ;-)

7. Divide the turkey mixture among the 8 cabbage leaves. Fold in the sides and roll up to enclose the stuffing.

8. Place the cabbage rolls, seam-side down, on top of the sliced cabbage in the baking pan.

9. Drizzle with the marinara/tomato sauce.

10. Bake uncovered about 1-1/2 hours, or until the stuffing is cooked through.

Per serving (2 rolls): 431 calories, 8 pts

12 comments:

  1. I love cabbage rolls! Thanks for sharing the link and the recipe, a healthy version will be made up soon. DH doesn't care for it, so more for me! Hang in there waiting for your patterns to arrive, and good luck on WW. I'm fighting to lose some pounds, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad to see you posting again, missed you. I usually don't comment only read your post. I'm so glad you got to spend that time with your sons, family is so important.
    Thanks so much for the recipe! I'm half German too and the other is French. Both like to eat good food. The 8 points, is that the new PointsPlus calculation?
    I am a firm believer of WW since being on the plan now for 2 years and 75# lighter and at my goal!! I do find that the new program is taking me a while to get used to ..but it will happen.
    I'm like you on the sewing front. I made 4 Christmas stockings and quilted a quilt that I had the top finished for over a year and cut out a knit dress....that is still just sitting there. My SIL sent me some home dec fabric that she needed to have pieced together, so I have that to do first. I know, I couldn't tell her NO!
    Well, thanks again for the recipe, I'll probably make it this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Carol,
    Thanks for missing me. :-)
    The points calc is from the old plan. I don't have the new plan details yet. When I do, I'll try to remember to revise this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You may be impressed with the WWs. Fruit is like FREE. You get a lot of food on this program, but it does try to deter you from eating processed carbs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been thinking about trying cabbage rolls for a while, so thanks for the recipe! It looks much easier than I expected.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've had similarly poor experiences with SewingPatterns.com - orders delayed/backordered without informing me, sending the wrong patterns, etc... never again.

    Your cabbage recipe sounds wonderful! Best wishes for a happy, healthy 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The recipe looks good, will have to try it..back on WW myself - was diagnosed w/ type 2 diabetes just before christmas, so have to lose a bunch of weight...i like the new system and there are more recipes. Been on it for a week and don't feel hungry, but I'm really missing my sweets... I did get a new sewing machine for christmas so looking forward to making more progress on the Crepe sew-a-long..

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love stuffed cabbage, but my dearly beloved does not. *sigh* I'm coming to your house for some!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope you get your patterns soon.
    Those cabbage rolls look good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those rolls do look yummy.
    Hope your patterns aren't far away. Maybe it's the time of year? We ordered some cds which, by previous examples, should have arrived before Christmas, but we're still waiting. I've only ordered a few times from sewingpatterns and both were ok thank goodness. Crossing my fingers for you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember the last time I had really good cabbage rolls--Frankenmuth, Mi, just me and my Dad, whom I still dearly miss, (on our way home from picking me up at MSU for Christmas break. These look great! I don't cook much, but I will have to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Catching up on blog reading this am! I think I would like the recipe but DH just had flashbacks to a bad cabbage roll experience as a kid whenever he hears the name! About to go back on the online WW plan myself - I bought a new scale last week and it's still in the trunk of the car. I have to bring it in today though! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for each and every comment. I appreciate them all, but I have to be honest and let you know that I'm usually bad about answering questions. I hope you understand that there just isn't enough time in the day to do everything I want to do.

To help keep spam comments under control, any comments to blog posts that are more than 30 days old are moderated and will not show up immediately.