Friday, January 28, 2011

Who's On First?

I was getting tired of looking at Tuesday's dinner, so I'm guessing you were too. To change that up I've gathered some pics of what's sitting around and nearby the sewing room.

Costume supplies have been arriving daily. First up, one of the fabrics and some buttons. I ordered 20 brass-ish ("ish" because they're poly) and the Ebay seller sent them in a cute little drawstring bag that looks like it could be part of the final costume somehow. The fabric looks orange in this pic, but it's really a brilliant red and exactly what I was expecting. It ravels when you just look at it, though. Figures that I just vacuumed the floor. One more Ebay fabric to arrive, some black something locally (maybe?) and I'm thinking a white cotton sheet for the shirt, unless JoAnn's has something decent. Hahahaha. Yeah, right. I'll probably end up buying one black and one white sheet from Bed Bath & Beyond.



Next, all the patterns are here. I've been reading through the instructions at night, and I think it's going to go well. There will be some fiddly-ness but nothing seems especially difficult or outside my skill level. (I hope I don't have to eat those words later!) Muslins will be cut and sewn over the weekend and my "customer" will try them on early next week. February 26 will be here before I know it!



In MPB Men's Shirt Sew-Along news, I stole one of my husband's old dress shirts. I don't know why the buttons are showing up as green since they're white. I'm going to unstitch parts of it, just to have a look. My husband has given his OK, in case you were wondering.



I've also laid out the pattern for a muslin and will cut it hopefully later today. Yes, the fabric is a hideous bright yellow. This will be a real muslin, sans the actual muslin fabric. I.e., quick and ugly. Michael, you might want to dig out some sunglasses for this one.



The real fabric is slung over the upstairs banister still waiting for its prewash. We had a (another!) well leak last weekend, which threw a wrench into the laundry plans. But it's fixed and the fabric will go into the machine tomorrow morning.



I don't usually juggle multiple sewing projects so this should be interesting. (Cue maniacal laugh.)

8 comments:

  1. You have a lot going on! That costume fabric is gorgeous!
    I've made dress shirts for my little grandson, but never a man sized one. I've had trouble finding a pattern for little boys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a well pump go once, and I had well casing rot through once, but I've never had a well leak. Our lives are never right when there are water issues, are there?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love, love, love your cutting table! Did you have it made to order?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty yellow :)))

    The costume fabric looks very rich.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are a busy lady, can't wait to see all your projects

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your cutting table has me very envious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Anonymous & Gail - My husband made the cutting table, from 2x4s. The top is from my previous collapsible table. More details here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, you're busy! I like sewing like that tho..you just keep working and working and then all at once, everything's finished! This year I did all four Halloween costumes at once, and boy howdy!!! I didn't know if I was washing or hanging out some days!

    I can't wait to see the costume! I'm *almost* tired of reading about shirts, almost, but I'll be back in as soon as I can actually work on mine. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for each and every comment. I appreciate them all, but I have to be honest and let you know that I'm usually bad about answering questions. I hope you understand that there just isn't enough time in the day to do everything I want to do.

To help keep spam comments under control, any comments to blog posts that are more than 30 days old are moderated and will not show up immediately.