Saturday, June 30, 2007

Dinner & Dessert

Edited to add recipes below.

Absolutely no sewing today. I wasn't in the mood. I wanted a day to just vegetate and putter around. We all slept in, including DS#2 who got back from wrestling camp last night.

Soon after I got up, I prepared the preliminary makings for some Rocky Road ice cream and put that in the freezer to chill. While waiting for that to cool down, I sorted through DS's stinky camp clothes and started the laundry, took the dogs out, made lunch, and tidied up the kitchen. Hmmm. That doesn't sound like vegetating, does it? Well, if you consider that we had planned to go to the dog park after lunch and we finally made it there around 6 PM, you should understand how slow I was moving. ;-)

Here's Dani jumping for joy in and out of a puddle at the dog park.




Before we left the dog park, I decided that instead of the same old, same old shrimp stir-fry I was planning for dinner, I wanted to do Alfredo sauce and pasta. That meant a stop at the store on the way home and a late dinner. But, mmmmmmm, the wait was worth it.



And for dessert, the Rocky Road ice cream I started this morning and finished this afternoon in the new ice cream maker, complete with waffle cups and chocolate sauce.



I probably should've stuck with the lighter stir-fry since we're all so stuffed, we can barely move. ;-)

* * * * *

The ice cream recipe comes from the internet. The Shrimp & Broccoli Fettuccine Alfredo I made up, so the measurements are approximate since that's how I cook.

Shrimp & Broccoli Fettuccine Alfredo (serves 6 adults, or 2 adults and 2 teenage boys)

2 packages fresh fettuccine pasta
40 or so medium shrimp, peeled and deveined (I used frozen, 2 bags, thawed)
fresh broccoli cut into about 2 cups of small florets, blanched until dark green
1-1/2 cups heavy cream (Yes, OMG)
1/4 cup butter (as if the cream weren't enough)
3/4 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
2 teaspoons minced garlic
2 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp salt
1 tbl dried parsley (because I forgot to buy fresh)

In large saucepan, over low to medium heat, combine butter and cream, stirring constantly until butter is melted. Add cheese and garlic and stir until cheese is melted. Add cooked shrimp and broccoli. Continue stirring until sauce begins to thicken, about 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large pot of boiling water until al dente; drain.

Place pasta in a serving dish, and toss with shrimp sauce. And be prepared not to move for 2-3 hours after eating!

Rocky Road Ice Cream (from BHG website)

2 oz unsweetened chocolate
1 14-ounce can (1-1/4 cups) sweetened condensed milk*
1 cup water
2 cups whipping cream
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 teaspoon vanilla
1-1/3 marshmallows, cut into small pieces
2 oz semi-sweet chocolate, smashed into small pieces (I added this)

*I didn't have sweetened condensed milk so I found a conversion for evaporated milk, which I did have.

In a medium saucepan melt the chocolate over medium-low heat. Gradually stir in milk until combined. Gradually stir in water. Remove from heat. Pour half of the mixture into a blender container; cover and blend until smooth. Transfer to a bowl. Repeat with other half of mixture. Cover surface with plastic wrap and chill thoroughly.

Stir in whipping cream, walnuts, and vanilla. Freeze in an ice-cream freezer according to the manufacturer's directions. Stir in marshmallows and semi-sweet chocolate pieces before ripening. Ripen 4 hours. Makes about 1-1/2 quarts.

13 comments:

  1. Oh YUMMMM!!!! Where was my invitation?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yummy, could you please share the recipe for the ice cream.
    Love your blog. Sew much useful information and inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dani is losing that puppy look isn't she, no more puppy tummy. She looks very settled in now.
    Ice cream, lovely...

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a coincidence! I'm making ice cream today, too. I haven't decided between strawberrry or cheesecake flavor (with strawberry sauce on top). Yours looks sooooooooo good!wmjeoljx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I seem to have misplaced my invitation as well. Hee Hee. Do you have a recipe for that shrimp alfredo you can share? YUMMY.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh you bad girl, you've inspired me to dust off our ice cream maker and I made French Vanilla yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Debbie, loved your serving size guide ... 2 adults and 2 teenage boys ! With yummy dinners like these, the boys will be staying at home for a long while :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, thank you, thank you! I can't wait to try these.
    What diet!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Am I ever glad I ate dinner before visiting your blog. Those both look so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are having only water today right?!!

    Debbie, just wanted to ask with a (wink) if you will be modelling the undies too?

    ReplyDelete
  11. That alfredo looks wonderful! I'll have to give it a try (with shrimp for me, chicken for DH because he claims he hates shrimp even though he hasn't tried it in years).

    The broccoli makes it diet food, right?

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow, that looks soooooooooooooo good!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for each and every comment. I appreciate them all, but I have to be honest and let you know that I'm usually bad about answering questions. I hope you understand that there just isn't enough time in the day to do everything I want to do.

To help keep spam comments under control, any comments to blog posts that are more than 30 days old are moderated and will not show up immediately.