Monday, June 25, 2007

Monday Miscellany

Monday again? How did that happen?

First up in this hodgepodge of a post today … This is the flower on the tee after it came out of the laundry (washer/dryer). Somewhat wadded up, but not unrecognizable.



And here it is after a 15-second pressing job. So I think it will stay since it's not a pain in the neck to make nice again.



Next … instead of cutting out panties like I originally planned to do, I put together the double welt pocket tutorial. Best to do that while it was still fresh in my mind. You can go to it now directly here, or later you can find it by clicking Sewing & Pattern Tips in the upper right of the sidebar. If you find errors, glaring or otherwise, let me know. Here's a preview of the sample piece. That red edgestitching really makes a statement, no? ;-)



Some replies to comments …

"Ack! What do you mean it's always a crap shoot with pants, even with a TNT pattern?"

LOL! I didn't mean that as literally as it came off the fingers. I just mean that changing up fabrics or hem lengths or waist treatments also can introduce that pesky human error element. The basic pattern will fit as long as your body hasn't done a major change since, but you'll always need to tweak something or other.

"Where do you get your pant wt fabric? I too live in FL and am constantly looking for cool, kewl fabrics and your choices fit both."

Thanks! The fabric for the latest capris came from Lucy's Fabrics, click here to go directly to it while it lasts. It's a blend — 70% Polyester / 25% Rayon / 5% Spandex, sometimes also known as RPL (rayon/poly/Lycra). Some RPLs are great; some aren't. This one is great.

"I love the flower - you should keep it. Did you have to adjust the body of the tee for the wider neckline?"

I probably should've to be technically correct. But I was lazy and didn't. I figured I had already eyeballed the front shape into that curve for the gathering and it wouldn't matter much to attach it to a slightly wider neckband. It worked out fine, I think.

* * * * *

And finally, thank you everyone for the really nice comments about my blog, poochies, and everything. I've been enjoying myself too. My 1st Blogiversary was yesterday, which I can't believe I forgot! Guess what I was doing a year ago? Making underwear. See, it really is time for some new undies. And on that note, it's time to get cutting!

25 comments:

  1. Happy Blogoversary! I sure have enjoyed reading your blog over the past year and look forward to the many more witty, amusing and informative posts to come!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh... Happy belated Blogoversary from me, too!
    May you writes many more posts, we all enjoy!
    Happy Sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Blogoversay! Congratulations on doing such a nice job sharing and blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ups! I meant Blogoversary, lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, Happy Blogoversary!! I enjoy your blog very much- I learn so much from you. My DH enjoys your doggie posts and pics - they make him smile(I share them with him). Beckie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Blogoverary. I enjoy your blog so much. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Blogiversary Debbie!!! Thanks for sharing your sewing, pooches and life in general. Your blog is always a nice place to stop by. The welt pocket tutorial is excellent !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. HB! I look forward to reading your Blog every day. Killer welt pocket tutorial (of course it's in great company with your other fab tutorials). Thanks for your hard work and sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Blogiversary! I enjoy your posts -- sewing, dogs, money pit doings -- all! Your tutorials are well done. I appreciate your generosity in sharing and your fun attitude. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Blogoversary! I'm so glad that you share your tips and tricks - I've learned so much. Your tutorials have saved me many frustrations with my own projects. I absolutely love the doggie pictures and stories too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats from me, too!

    I truly appreciate your common sense approach to life and sewing and everything in between.

    Thanks so much for bringing the blog, baby! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much for all your contributions. Do you have special training to be so competent with the computer? I am always amazed at what you can do and send to be shared with others.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Debbie, I know how to make a double welt pocket and the PP method has just enough steps to be confusing. Thanks for the pictures, without them I'd be lost.

    ~Sherril~

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you Debbie!!! I've been so intimidated by the 2X-welt pocket. Now I can't wait to try one! You the Bomb!

    Susan
    Atlanta

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks so much for this tutorial, Debbie! I have avoided welt pockets, but your tutorial made it seem so easy that I gave it a try this afternoon. It worked great - but one question: I removed the basting stitches (from step #7) before flipping the pocket through the opening, because it didn't seem to go through quite right. Was that right??

    Here it is, by the way. Not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but certainly not bad for a very first attempt! Again - thanks! It just wasn't nearly as complicated or difficult as I thought it would be.

    Jessica (jacalhoun)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Blogoversary Debbie!
    Thankyou so much for sharing your sewing knowledge and your life with us. I've learned so much from you! Your doggie pics just crack me up. Izzie

    ReplyDelete
  17. Jessica,
    That looks awesome!! And oops on my forgetting to put in when to remove the basting. I'm glad you figured it out, and I've added that step to the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy Blogiversary!! Esther Williams!! ~snort~

    I gotta get that panty pattern. This is prolly TMI, but I had to get up in the middle o'the night to find some different undies. Mine were driving me CRAZZZY. Stupid panties.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Debbie, thanks for taking the time out to put up that superduper tutorial. That takes the fear out of welt pockets. Somehow, that method looks quite familiar, will check my books, I don't have the PP book.
    I have toyed with the idea of doing welt pocket samples like step-by-step and placing them in a folder within easy reach for quick reference.

    Happy belated blogversary, glad you stuck with it and provide us with all these wonderful sewing posts on an almost daily basis.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Debbie,
    Thank you for your generosity in posting tutorials, "how-to's", and just general information! I think I learn something from your blog everytime I visit! Happy Blogoversary BTW! The capris are very cute! I am sitting here, in my *VERY* cool - actually COLD! house wondering how those would fare in heat, I guess Florida would be a good test, but then again we had a record temp today - I think it was 112 --(We had the A/C's serviced today and the technecian had turned the thermostat waaaaaay down. Good greif, my electric is atrocious enough!) but poly/rayon doubleknit sounds really hot to me. BTW, I was also sitting here with my head turned almost horizontally trying to figure out the picture with the mud spot -- I still don't get it, but that's okay, I like them in the pic I can figure out.
    designdreamer

    ReplyDelete
  21. If only I had your welt pocket tutorial last week my quest for the perfect pocket would have been shorter! I agree- I think the Palmer/Pletsch method yields the best results.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy Blogoversary! Yours was one of the first blogs I discovered and one of the reasons I started a blog! I've really enjoyed it! Thanks for sharing so generously.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I used to use this method, Sandra Betzina had it in her early books, and I don't know why I stopped. Your tutorial is excellent thanks for reminding me of this excellent method.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I check your blog almost every day, its a great sewing resource and a good read. Thanks and congratulations on your blogaverrsary

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am so behind on reading blogs. So a belated and happy one year blogiversary~!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for each and every comment. I appreciate them all, but I have to be honest and let you know that I'm usually bad about answering questions. I hope you understand that there just isn't enough time in the day to do everything I want to do.

To help keep spam comments under control, any comments to blog posts that are more than 30 days old are moderated and will not show up immediately.