Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Tee Time



I finished this tee tonight. As you can see, I went with plain sleeves. That was mostly because of laziness. ;-) These are just faster to sew.

I'm on a roll because every tee I've made in the last couple of weeks has become my new favorite. It's so nice to have a choice of new tees/outfits to wear for summer. It also means that it's time to start weeding old stuff out of the closet and drawers.

I tried a little raw edge "embellishment" for this one. I rough cut 3 of the brown outline flower motifs from the fabric scraps and then zigzagged around the outline, stretching a little for a curly effect, and then trimmed the excess. I attached them together with a circle satin stitch pictogram on my machine. For now, the flower is just safety-pinned to the top to see (a) how much I really like it and (b) how it will do through the laundry. If I decide to keep it, I'll attach it more permanently with a few handstitches.



I also reshaped the neckband just a little. I made it a little wider so it would be more open on my upper chest. The new pattern piece is on top in the pic below.



Speaking of new outfits (which I was earlier if you scroll up), I've decided once and for all that I'll never be able to do a SWAP. I buy fabric for and sew outfits, not wardrobes. I love seeing the SWAPs and storyboards everyone else puts together during contests and just good planning, but I'm much too fickle to be tied to one color scheme with everything coordinating. The brown I've been sewing lately is about as close as I get. I do tend to pick the same color families but I still don't really have a true mix and match wardrobe. Just lots of outfits in greens, turquoises, and now corals and browns.

Tomorrow (or is that later today?), I'll work on altering the pattern and cutting out the fabric for the capris that are next up … so I can finish this new outfit. ;-)

19 comments:

  1. Yep! Another nice one... your really ARE on the roll, aren't you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, nice tee. I LOVE the flower! A girl can never have too many summer tees.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tee again. The colors are so wonderful, nice flower touch. I agree with you about a SWAP, I can't stay concentrated on one colorway. You can tell that for sure, just look in my closet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tee! The colors are beautiful (they were on the last version too). Let us know what you decide about the flower; it's a cute idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have GOT to make some tops like you have. I love this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Debbie,
    Another great T! Even if you never do a SWAP you have a great wardrobe...very pretty, flattering and the best part...all made by you. Pat yourself on the back for me!! Great work.
    Donna Wicks
    Edmonton, Alberta

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your flower embellishment! It's so 'now'! Great T and I'm loving the brown.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Debbie - what is your "paying" job? I've heard you mention it, but man you sure have more time to sew than I do. Either that or you need a whole lot less sleep :) The top looks great and my vote is to keep the flower. g

    ReplyDelete
  9. who cares if it's not a complete mix-and-match wardrobe---it's still a wardrobe and an awesome one at that! Besides, I would think a sole mix-and-match wardrobe would get boring after awhile ;) I love how you have your "family" of colors
    trisha

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the color combo. Cute shirt. I really like the flower too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this top! Nice idea to add the flower! It makes it extra special!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love that flower ... gorgeous color fabric, too ... you do a great job stitching and i wish i had your coverstitch machine ...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great Tee, Love the flower--it is a nice touch. Anne

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the flower - you should keep it. Did you have to adjust the body of the tee for the wider neckline? I too find the idea of a SWAP limiting. But perhaps by staying with your color families, you end up with lots of coordinating pieces

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love it! The fabric is cool and I really like that wider neckline. I just bought some tank tops with that type of neckline thinking I'd like to make some more for myself. Now I guess I can!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Debbie ~ great tee! You are really on a roll. You must be the best dressed person on the dog beach!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm loving that embellishment! And I am not an embellishment girl. Very creative. The fabrics you are picking lately Debbie are to die for.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am an outfit person too. I think SWAP can be too restrictive. But the principals are good to keep in mind when buying new fabric.
    BTW, what is wrong with leaving the cute flower with a safety pin? That way you can take it off for washing ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cute flower - the newest Ottobre Woman did a similar flower detail on the band of one of their v-neck tees, but I think it was not 3-D like yours is.

    I found during this year's SWAP (first one I'd tried) I got bored, mainly b/c I wanted to be able to change my mind whenever I wanted. Not so much about colorways, though - my whole wardrobe is already in a few sets of colors.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for each and every comment. I appreciate them all, but I have to be honest and let you know that I'm usually bad about answering questions. I hope you understand that there just isn't enough time in the day to do everything I want to do.

To help keep spam comments under control, any comments to blog posts that are more than 30 days old are moderated and will not show up immediately.